By Dana Gornitzki
“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous,” proclaimed Coco Chanel. Never a more fitting mantra to live by, now that the festive season has officially begun and the social calendar is awash with parties to go to. So, what to wear, what to wear?
Enter Naomi Thompson for some holiday fashion tips. She is the doyenne of Vintage Secret - a bijou vintage-clothing store and website. Over the last couple of years, Naomi has fast made a name for herself both with her collection of vintage wear and running her styling service.
“Women are again realising that modern clothing isn’t as flattering, and that vintage pieces are more flattering and fit much better because of the structure and quality.”
Here are some tips from the vintage queen for bringing back a bit of glamour to holiday frolics:
- Wear a dress that nips you in: it’s both flattering and classic
- Pick something 1930s, cut on a bias. This is a flattering cut and never dates
- If you’re not into “frou-frou”, then go for a 1940s look. Think pencil skirt, sheer blouse, seamed stocking, little jacket, and red lipstick (a must)
- Invest in sparkly jewelry (paste/costume is good, too). These make a statement, and are easy to find
- Don’t forget your hair: invest in a cordless hair curler so you can take care of those locks on the go
- Makeup musts: red lipstick and black eye liner
- One more thing: millinery or a hair accessory are always a lovely addition for the festive season
And it’s no secret that looking good and feeling glamourous is the equation to sexiness, but it can also give that little oomph when entering a room, or holding a glass, just like a lady ought to.
Finding that perfect vintage treasure, whether it be an accessory or your whole ensemble can be trying. However, it will be ever so rewarding when gallantry of your fellow guests responds with compliments, giving that special little kick to your holiday champagne.
Take a peek at some vintage inspirations, you may even be tempted: Vintage Secret