- Social graces. Redefined | MIEN Magazine - http://www.mienmagazine.com -
Eton Mess: the perfect summer dessert
Posted By admin On June 26, 2013 @ 10:55 am In Social, Table | No Comments
by Dana Gornitzki
Here at MIEN, we adore the summer and the good weather that the season brings (or at least, what we hope for - the weather in the British isles does keep one on their toes). Few foods scream English louder than a good old Eton Mess. Pure heaven!
One of life’s greatest pleasures is sharing food. And it seems that no matter how old we get, dessert (or shall I say pudding?) seems to be even more sinfully delightful in the company of others - especially when the creation is a group effort.
Here is our very own simple recipe for the Eton Mess, a quintessentially English dessert that traditionally features strawberries, cream and meringue. A glass of bubbly or tea will be the perfect accompanying beverage - all depends on your mood.
The recipe is not only easy, but a fantastic hit at any picnic or dinner party.
10-12 meringue shells (store-bought is perfectly fine or  try making them on your own at home)
Mixed berries - a lovely combination of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries is ideal (2 or 3 punnets - the more the better)
One pint of double cream for whipping
- Crush meringues in a bowl
- Whip the double cream until stiff and then fold into bowl with crushed meringues (leave a few good table spoons)
- Wash and cut the berries into small bite-sized chunks
- Mix with meringues and cream until you get a lovely mess of flavours (you’ll know the perfect amount of berries once you start the mixing process - leave a few berries to decorate the top of the dessert
- Once your mixture is complete, then take the leftover cream and neatly spread on top of your mess
- Decorate the top with the rest of your berries (we made a beautiful heart shape on ours)
- Serve in small clear glasses (so pretty) or even more delightful in vintage tea cups
And voila, there is your Eton Mess. Ravishing to look at and simply delicious.
Article printed from Social graces. Redefined | MIEN Magazine: http://www.mienmagazine.com
URL to article: http://www.mienmagazine.com/social/eton-mess-the-perfect-summer-dessert/
URLs in this post:
 try making them on your own at home: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2445/ultimate-meringue
Copyright © 2008 MIEN Magazine. All rights reserved.